Red Cross to raise money for Gulf Coast victims while union apprentices work this Saturday
(Friday, 9-16-2005) This Saturday, organized labor will work for
the American Red Cross which will use the occasion to work for Gulf Coast
"This project kept getting
shifted to the bottom of our list to ensure that we had funds to respond
to disasters, so the Laborers' work is greatly appreciated," stated
Caroline Punches, Executive Director of the
Northern Nevada Chapter of the Red Cross.
repair work is long overdue," she added, "the asphalt is seriously
The offices of the Northern
Nevada Chapter of the American Red Cross will be open during the Saturday
construction to accept financial donations for Gulf Coast hurricane relief
and assist victims of the disaster. The Red Cross is located at 1190 Corporate
Blvd. in the Dermody Industrial park southwest of Mill Street and McCarran
"We are happy to do this
as a public service to free up dollars for disaster relief," stated
Local 169 Business Manager Richard "Skip" Daly.
UNIONS AND CONTRACTORS DONATE TIME AND EQUIPMENT TO PAVE PARKING
(RENO, 5-27-1999) Union women and men have completely repaved the driveways and parking areas at the Committee to Aid Abused Women (CAAW) at 1735 Vassar Street in Reno. Apprentices from Laborers' Union Local 169 and Operating Engineers Local 3 worked on the project, along with Pete Cox, Local 3's longtime district representative.
Unions and contractors donated $40,000 worth of time and equipment to the community service organization. Apprentices from Laborers' Union Local 169 and Operating Engineers Local 3 performed the work under the supervision of Laborers Apprenticeship Director Tony Mayorga.
It could not have happened without heavy duty equipment and a master operator to run it. Granite Construction turned over the use of an asphalt paving machine because Cox volunteered his time to run it. Cox was a longtime Granite employee and is a master of paver operation. "This is very good for both the community and our workers," Mayorga stated.
"It lets CAAW spend its money helping women and assists us in better educating our workers. Skills training is the union's lifeblood," he added.
Union apprenticeship programs are open to men and women. The project would have cost about $40,000 if bid competitively but everything was donated with most of the work done by union apprentices.
The Northern Nevada Laborers-Associated General Contractors Training Fund handled project coordination with the cooperation of the Operating Engineers Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee, Granite Construction Co., Q&D Construction, T.W. Construction, Laborers' Union Local 169, Operating Engineers Local 3 and the Nevada Chapter of the Associated General Contractors.
The project received news coverage on three major
network television affiliates, the Reno Gazette-Journal (twice) and in
the CAAW newsletter. The union was honored with a Hannah
Humanitarian Award for this project on Feb. 29, 2000.
Laborers' Local 169 Business Manager Dan Rusnak retires
The Northern Nevada
Laborers - Associated General Contractors Training Fund began in 1968
when Laborers' Union Local 169 negotiated a five cent per hour contribution
for training. In 1976, the program qualified as a trainer under the Federal
Comprehensive Employment and Training Act (CETA). Many people that were
trained with CETA dollars came off the welfare rolls. Some are still working
in the construction industry. In 1995, the State of Nevada approved the
Construction Craft Laborer Apprenticeship Program.
The fund provides
opportunity for men and women to learn to learn lifetime skills that can
enable them to obtain better-paying jobs and financial stability for themselves
and their families.
The Hannah Humanitarian
Award is presented by the Committee to Aid Abused Women to honor Nevadans
who have worked for a more humanitarian environment in our state. The
award is named for Hannah Keziah Clapp who was one of the most
influential women in Silver State history.
Hannah Keziah Clapp
remained an activist until her death on October 8, 1908.
CLAPP: Educator, Philanthropist, Librarian
In 1998, apprentices of Painters & Allied Trades Local 567 painted the historic Lake Mansion. It was purchased by Myron Lake, founder of Lake's Crossing (on the Truckee River) which became the City of Reno. (Recent scholarly research revealed that Lake probably never lived in the house, but his estranged wife did.)
The building made front page local news in the early 1970s when it was moved in one piece down S. Virginia Street from downtown.
The mansion originally stood at the northwest corner of S. Virginia Street and California Avenue, a few blocks south of the river. A financial institution currently occupies the site across the street from the Ponderosa Hotel.
The Lake Mansion stands today at the corner of S.
Virginia and Kietzke Lane, just off U.S. 395 S. on the grounds of the
Reno-Sparks Convention Center. In 2004, the convention authority discussed
moving it elsewhere in order to expand the facility. Nothing has happened
as of this update on 9-15-2005.
They were supervised by instructor Mike Lowe.
Site composed and maintained by Deciding
Comments and suggestions appreciated